"who wants some laab gai?"

Wednesday, February 01, 2012





Laab Gai is Thai for chicken salad.
So yes, with my never-ending love & appreciation for thai food, I have more recipes to add to my list. I have to be honest, this recipe here is something I thought of on a whim. Unlike some of my other recipes, this I actually came up with when I was shopping for ingredients in the super mart.

So yes, for once, this is something that isn't modified from an existing recipe. Although because this is superbly simple (like making a sandwich), I'm pretty sure there are a lot more similar recipes out there. This however, worked for me because it tasted perfect on the first try. ;)



INGREDIENTS
1 chicken breast, diced into bite-sized cubes
1 red onion, chopped
3 large oyster mushrooms, chopped (discard the stems)
7-10 kaffir lime leaves, scored or torn
1 2/2 tbsp tom yum paste (see 3rd photo)
1 red bird's eye chilli, sliced into small pieces
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 bowl salad greens (baby romaine, lettuce, whatever you like)
1 lemon wedge (as salad dressing)
fish sauce, to taste



I'm lovin' these beautiful oyster mushrooms.



First of all, it's always crucial to prepare the ingredients before you begin. This is a recipe that requires the ingredients to be added one after another so there'll be no time for onion chopping in between (unless you have lightning hands). Again, I will apologize for not having any step-by-step photos, it's pretty simple though.



This was the Thai tom yum paste I used. You can get it from any local supermart.



 STEPS
- Add the olive oil onto the skillet and keep it at medium heat.
- Add in the onions and let it cook until it's fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Now add the oyster mushrooms and stir.
- Add the diced chicken bits and stir. Throw in some fish sauce. Stir.
- When the chicken starts to cook (turn slightly white), add in the tom yum paste and stir until each piece is evenly coated.
- Add in your chillies together with the kaffir lime leaves and stir to mix.
- When your chicken is nearly done, add in more fish sauce to taste and stir.
- Now that your chicken is all done, serve onto a pile of salad greens and squeeze the lemon wedge all over for a zingy taste. Mix and it's ready to eat.



I would advice against using any chillies at all if you're not the type who can take really spicy food. I was nearly in tears when I had this for lunch.



You can pair this dish with rice as well if you like. Also, I think that adding some bell peppers and tomatoes would have been really nice. If you find this yummy, you can also try my recipes for a sensational thai tom yum soup or the basil chicken.

Nothing beats a great home cooked meal that doesn't take an hour to prep! ;)


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Say anything but please say what you mean.

Twitter Updates

About me

blogheader2015

All images and text here are the intellectual property of Michelle Lim, owner of the blog site www.coquettishmish.com, and related third-party ownerships. Any use, reproduction or re-quoting of the materials here can only be done with expressed permission from the blog owner, and should be duly credited where necessary.