"DIY : ripped & bleached"

Monday, August 29, 2011

If there's anything I love, it's ripped jeans. I think it's the sexiest thing since the LBD.
Just two years ago, I posted a fairly basic way to make your own DIY ripped jeans, an idea inspired by my cat when he sank his claws into my lap.

This time round, I'm gonna show you how I transformed an old-fashioned, flare-legged pair of jeans (from my high school days, it's amazing how my waistline stayed the same) into a pair of sexily ripped, bleached cut off shorts - which is perfecto for the summer.



Say hi to the old jeans. She's about to get a makeover.


It's really simple to do, all you need are:


  • An old pair of jeans
  • A sharp pair of scissors
  • A sharp object (I used a metal ruler)
  • A sewing kit
  • Bleach



First off, you should put those jeans on, measure the length of the shorts you want, mark it with fabric chalk or a crayon. Then take them off, make sure that the length on both sides are equally balanced before you start snipping away with the scissors.

Keep in mind to leave about an extra inch to be sewn inwards if you want a seam, like I did. Otherwise just leave this part out. Once you have cut and sewn in the seam, it's time for the fun part - slashing.




DON'T cut into the fabric like how you cut paper. Instead, split the scissors open and use one of the blades to bluntly slice through the fabric, creating a bigger/longer/shorter slash depending on how you'd like it to be. Get creative.





As for the bottom edges, use the metal ruler and score the fabric vertically outwards, leaving you some dangling fibers to achieve that cut-off look. I would suggest using a metal ruler instead of the scissors because the ruler has sharper, ragged corners that would pull the fibers out nicely compared to using a scissor's tip.


After all that cutting & roughing up is done and you're happy with the results, get a bucketful of water and pour a cup of bleach into it. Depending on how dark or light you want your jeans to be, just add or subtract the amount of bleach used. Be sure to wear some protective rubber gloves while you're at it.

Leave your jeans in the bucket overnight, wash & dry it the next morning and there you have it, your very own DIY ripped & bleached shorts.



See that dark spot on the right? The bleach missed that section out, but that was how dark the color was before I bleached it.


I added a few small scratches (not rips) on the back, just for a little character.


Easy peasy!


p/s: DON'T WASTE. You would have a lot of leftover fabric from making your shorts, so save them up for other DIY projects or as scrap fabric for your projects.




You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. That looks so awesome! I'm glad I saw your blog, check out mine if you have time :)

    http://funandoblivious.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Say anything but please say what you mean.

Twitter Updates

About me

blogheader2015

All images and text here are the intellectual property of Michelle Lim, owner of the blog site www.coquettishmish.com, and related third-party ownerships. Any use, reproduction or re-quoting of the materials here can only be done with expressed permission from the blog owner, and should be duly credited where necessary.