"DIY : Fringed out"

Tuesday, September 20, 2011


I'm back with yet again another DIY tutorial.
The last time, I decked out an old pair of jeans into some sassy ripped & bleached shorts. Now, I'm gonna teach you how to deck out a top to go with those denim shorts.

We're gonna be making our very own fringed top.





First, choose a tee that is slightly loose. It should not be skin tight, nor should it be too oversized.
Get one that fits snugly. Any length would do. Wear the shirt, determine how low you would like the neckline to be, and how high up should the fringes go.



All you need are a pair of sharp scissors and a long ruler. Use a clothing chalk if you need to indicate the cutting lines. Or like me, you can just wing it. (after all, that's the beauty of DIY!)



Start with the neckline. Notice that in the first photo, the neckline for the tee was pretty high up. I decided that I want a slightly off-shoulder look, so I start by cutting a wider hole, about half an inch away from the original neckline. Follow the circle in the exact measurement all the way round.

Take your time, make sure that you don't cut it too wide. Draw a guideline with a cloth chalk if you need to. Again, you can also opt to just wing it. ;)





Once that's done, you can start by cutting straight strips at the bottom of the tee. I used the ruler to keep me in check, so that my fringes would be at a consistent length.

However, you can also tweak it a little according t your preference. I decided at a later time that I would create my fringes to be higher up at the sides, and go downwards towards the middle, in a triangular shape. (think ponchos; those worn by red indian girls)



The front part's done - now for the back. It really doesn;t take too long.
You only need to make sure that all your fringes are the same width - they may be skinny or thick. Of course you can also mix it up if you want to but I think that might look a little too sloppy.





And all my fringes are finally done! Took me about 45 minutes to get it all done but I'm really happy with the results. The length is the most important part of the process. Keep it at a length where it still functions as a shirt, but sexy enough that with a raised arm reveals a little more. However, I've seen really short cropped-fringed tops that are just as cute - I just don't think I have the guts t wear those out. This however, I don't mind at all.




Lift your arms and swish around. :D
I love how it's subtly sexy. 




Gotta love the fringe trend! <3

p/s: the shirt reads: "Sometimes you have to do things you don't like. It's part of life."
How very true! :)



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Say anything but please say what you mean.

Twitter Updates

About me

blogheader2015

All images and text here are the intellectual property of Michelle Lim, owner of the blog site www.coquettishmish.com, and related third-party ownerships. Any use, reproduction or re-quoting of the materials here can only be done with expressed permission from the blog owner, and should be duly credited where necessary.