Meaty Art

Friday, February 21, 2014



I have been mildly obsessed with meat for the longest time now: be it eating meat, cooking meat or simply just drawing meat. It started when I realized that ballpoint pens make a remarkable medium for meat drawing, on that fateful day when I decided to draw three strips of bacon, off a reference I found on the internet.





So yes, this was my first foray into meat art. I was then on to work on a second piece, which was a piece of steak. The original piece was given away to friends, but the digital copy is still available for purchase online.







And now, moving on to my third piece of meat work, I would like to share my art process and how each piece is done. It involves a lot of techniques similar to pencil drawings, except that you get a much lower range of shading with ballpoint pens. Also, for darker and lighter reds (because meat has some light and darkened parts) and for shadows I utilized a black ballpoint pen and pencils for lighter shadows.



I usually start out with a rough pencil sketch of the meat – to chart out the meat and the fats.



The meaty areas will have a red coloring, some shadows here and there and speckles of white fat.



The fat areas will be treated with a very light ballpoint pen shading, creating a subtle gradient.





I started drawing the pork ribs in July 2013, and during a busy moment, have totally forgotten about it and left it as it is. It wasn't until I wrote the latest post on starting a worklogue, that I remembered I have an incomplete artwork sitting between the pages. Another reason why worklogues are so totally useful.


But anyways, I finally have some time to finish it, so there you go, ballpoint pen pork ribs.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Say anything but please say what you mean.

Twitter Updates

About me

blogheader2015

All images and text here are the intellectual property of Michelle Lim, owner of the blog site www.coquettishmish.com, and related third-party ownerships. Any use, reproduction or re-quoting of the materials here can only be done with expressed permission from the blog owner, and should be duly credited where necessary.