Teriyaki Salmon & Garlic-Chilli Broccoli With Brown Mushrooms

Friday, September 05, 2014




It's been a while since I posted a recipe. I haven't had much time to compose a good recipe with proper images (cause it isn't easy to cook and shoot good photos at the same time). I am also trying to get back onto my 'clean-eating bandwagon', so bear with me. Here's a quick recipe I whipped up last night while driving home from work in a jam.

Salmon goes great with anything, and this is made with mostly teriyaki sauce, some seasoning and my oven. It is then paired with garlic-chilli broccoli, which is one of my favorite ways to eat broccoli other than in a frittata. Did you know, I was tricked into loving broccoli as a child? I loved dinosaurs to bits, and my mom would tell me that to be like a dino, I must graze on trees like they do. And she gave me mini-trees (which are actually broccoli) to graze on. I was a brontosaurus, and graze I did. I later found my love for semi-raw beef when the T-rex became my favorite dinosaur.

Anyways, this recipe comes in two parts. I literally cooked this meal without any oil, except the oil that came out naturally from the salmon.


TERIYAKI SALMON
INGREDIENTS
1 salmon steak
5 tbsp teriyaki sauce (add more if you like)
A sprinkling of chilli powder
A sprinkling of dried oregano
Salt and black pepper, to taste

METHOD
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C.
2. Pat the salmon dry with paper towels.
3. Coat the entire steak liberally with teriyaki sauce, on an aluminium foil (to catch the oil and juices)
4. Sprinkle the oregano and chilli powder on both sides, and season with salt and pepper.
5. Wrap the aluminium foil and pop into the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
6. Once salmon is done, remove the excess oil and juices from within the aluminium foil and set aside. Leave salmon to cool.


That's it for the salmon. Again, I apologize for not having any step-by-step photos, but the steps really are quite simple. While waiting for the salmon, you can start prepping the ingredients for the stir-fry the broccoli and mushrooms.


GARLIC CHILLI BROCCOLI & MUSHROOMS
INGREDIENTS
1 broccoli, cut into florets
5 brown mushrooms, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 bird's eye chilli, sliced
1 tbsp oil from salmon (from the recipe above)
2 tbsp soy sauce (I used Kikkoman's soy sauce)
1 tsp sesame oil
Salt and black pepper, to taste

METHOD
1. Heat your pan to medium high. Oil it with the leftover salmon oil.
2. Throw in the broccoli, and cook for 1-2 minutes until it softens a little.
3. Then throw in the mushrooms and cook for another minute.
4. Mix in the sesame oil and soya sauce, together with the garlic and chillies. Stir for another minute or so. Lower the temperature from medium to low.
5. Let the vegetables sit for another minute as you season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and top it over the salmon.




And that's it! These two go hand-in-hand really well. And the broccoli tastes really great too with the mushrooms. It sort of complements the sweet teriyaki flavor and the salmon's fishiness. I cooked it the night before so I could have this for lunch the next day. So when I stored them together overnight, the flavors have sort married into one sweet and spicy, garlicky sauce. It's even better than eating them separate. But of course, it all boils down to taste – have it either way!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Say anything but please say what you mean.

Twitter Updates

About me

blogheader2015

All images and text here are the intellectual property of Michelle Lim, owner of the blog site www.coquettishmish.com, and related third-party ownerships. Any use, reproduction or re-quoting of the materials here can only be done with expressed permission from the blog owner, and should be duly credited where necessary.