"arrive and eat, fuss-free"

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

I've recently had the immense pleasure of dining at Millesime (courtesy of The Peak magazine) and it was more than just a delicious experience. It's fuss-free dining, a first for me.

What do I mean by fuss-free?
Well, there was no episodes of flipping through a thick menu trying to decide what to eat. The chef, Max Chin has already planned out a degustation menu for the evening, ready to satiate your hunger. Note that the degustation menu changes everyday, so what you have today will NOT be the same as what you'll be having if you do drop by again the day after. You eat what he decides to serve today at a fair price of RM180++ per person.



Millesime is one of the few restaurants in KL who adopted the open kitchen concept. Be prepared to have the chef plunking himself on an empty seat at your table as he socializes with everyone at your table. Observation will show you that in between cooking meals for all his customers, Chef Max will make acquaintance with each and every one of his guests. He will even offer to show you how to cut into certain dishes, which may require a little food knowledge to appreciate & enjoy.

Let's have a look at what was on the menu that day.



We started out with an amuse bouche of portobello mushrooms and horseradish which was flavorful and delicious. Having savoured this, it left us all hungry & eager for whatever that Max will be serving us next.



Our first entrée was the yellow fin tuna loin poached in duck fat served with mojama (salt-cured tuna), beetroot, Belgian endives and sea trout roe. There were three different sauces to go with the tuna and each sauce delivers a different and exciting tinge to my palate. I really loved the freshness of the tuna, it went really well with the sweetness of the beetroot and the saltiness of the trout roe. This was indefinitely one of my favorite dishes of the night.


Next up, we had the baked Hokkaido sea scallops with creamed leek and black truffles. This is another favorite of mine for the night's degustation menu. The scallop was served encased in a sea-shell shaped puff-pastry. Chef Max came over our table and helped us to cut the pastry open, to reveal the beautifully cooked scallop amidst the creamed leek sauce. I swear, the scallop just melts like butter in my mouth, and the leek sauce was a delicious compliment to such a perfectly cooked dish. I literally licked my dish clean till there was no trace of leek sauce to be seen.



I'm sorry to say our last entrée is actually one of my least favorites. It's warm air-dried beef and poached farm egg with parmesan crisps. Maybe I'm a little bias because I do not like egg-yolk and also because I dislike poached egg, that I'm not giving enough credit to this dish. Chef Max had undoubtedly served us a very creative dish. Creative in a sense that he created a parmesan crisp (in a way like how Chinese restaurants serve prawn crackers to compliment a dish) and used air-dried beef instead of a common grilled or stewed beef. I find it a little too salty overall and due to my dislike of egg-yolk, I'm unable to finish this entrée.



I enjoyed the mains though. For an additional RM120,  you can have the US Kobe beef tenderloin with pork loin and black truffle jus. It was succulent, flavorful and really scrumptious. To the point where I ate in absolute slow motion as I savored each succulent bite. A well-cooked medium rare dish which I absolutely loved.



Dessert was a delightful hot and cold combination of vanilla ice-cream drizzled with raspberry sauce, crunchy toast with a melted mozarella pastry. It was a combination of oppositions which work together; hot and cold alongside sweet and salty (mozarella). The fresh berries added a hint of sweet & sour to the delicious dessert.


I was so full by the end of the night I was just content to sit back and sip on the wine while Max seated himself to have a chat with us. All in all, it was a pleasurable meal. :)  For wines, do ask the maitre d’ for pairing suggestions that would go well with the degustation menu of the day.

Satiate your temptation by heading to Millesime and have a go. If you're lucky, Max might have some of your favorites on the menu for that night. Even if he doesn't, you can always stop on by the next day to check out the new degustation menu. Chances are, one or the other would most likely appeal to you.


Millesime
G1-01-3, Level G1
Menara Kencana Petroleum, Solaris Dutamas
No. 1, Jalan Dutamas 1, 50480 Kuala Lumpur
Operation hours : 12pm-12am
Tel: +603- 6211 0648


Photo credits to KK. :D

xxx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Say anything but please say what you mean.

Twitter Updates

About me

blogheader2015

All images and text here are the intellectual property of Michelle Lim, owner of the blog site www.coquettishmish.com, and related third-party ownerships. Any use, reproduction or re-quoting of the materials here can only be done with expressed permission from the blog owner, and should be duly credited where necessary.