"shredded chicken & lime soup"

Tuesday, October 23, 2012


You can never go wrong when it comes to making soup. You add in more salt for taste, and more water to dilute any overpowering flavors.

I previously made an amazing (and very well-approved) batch of Tom Yum soup which I really loved. It's a recipe that myself and my family uses over & over again.

I am a little under the weather recently, and while searching for the perfect pick-me-up soup, I stumbled upon BudgetBytes' chicken & lime soup recipe.

However, I had to adapt it to my liking by omitting certain things (like celery, ugh) and adding things that I like better. So with a little tweaking and some minor adjustments, I present you my version of this soup.



INGREDIENTS
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 birds-eye chillies, sliced
2 chicken breasts
1 lime
A bunch of kaffir lime leaves
5 cherry tomatoes
1 liter chicken broth (I made by boiling water and two cubes of chicken stock)
Dried oregano
Olive oil



*I apologize for the photo quality, my phone was all I had with me.





First, prepare the onions, garlic and chillies. Heat up some olive oil and sautée them until fragrant for about 5 minutes.




Add them into the pot of chicken broth and stir. Then add the two pieces of uncooked chicken breasts. Set the heat to high, add in the kaffir lime leaves and stir.





Slice the leaves with a sharp knife to release more flavor.


When the soup starts bubbling, set the heat to low. Add in a few pinches of dried oregano and leave the soup to simmer on low heat for about 30-40 minutes. This is also the time to taste your soup; if it's not salty enough, add in some liquid chicken stock. Taste it to your liking.




Take note of the chicken's color & texture transformation. After simmering, chicken should appear white and tender.




After 30-40minutes,  take both the chicken breasts out. With two forks, use them to shred each piece. The add the shredded pieces back into the pot. Squeeze the juice of one lime into the pot, stir.





*photo credit to BudgetBytes


Your soup is now ready to be served. Best served hot.
Soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days and frozen for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy!


View my list of favorite recipes that you can try at home, here!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Say anything but please say what you mean.

Twitter Updates

About me

blogheader2015

All images and text here are the intellectual property of Michelle Lim, owner of the blog site www.coquettishmish.com, and related third-party ownerships. Any use, reproduction or re-quoting of the materials here can only be done with expressed permission from the blog owner, and should be duly credited where necessary.