"be like water"

Monday, February 10, 2014


This is one of my resolutions for 2014. To be like water. Why? Let me explain.

Have you ever felt like at times, you are not very sure of where you're heading in life? Like you've not figured it all yet? I have.

I'm somewhat still in a 50/50 situation where I know what I want, but I've not figured out the best possible way to get to my destination yet. I'm still a wandering traveller in that sense. It's not often I feel this way, I mostly feel very content and  confident about life.. but that's only 80 per cent of the time.

Whenever I find myself in that state of mind, I always draw back to a paragraph I read (and would never forget) in Arthur Golden's book, Memoirs of a Geisha.



“I can see you have a great deal of water in your personality. Water never waits. It changes shape and flows around things, and finds the secret paths no one else has thought about -- the tiny hole through the roof or the bottom of the box. There's no doubt it's the most versatile of the five elements. It can wash away earth; it can put out fire; it can wear a piece of metal down and sweep it away. Even wood, which is its natural complement, can't survive without being nurtured by water. And yet, you haven't drawn on those strengths in living your life, have you?”


Let me just say that this is not just beautifully phrased, but it speaks volumes about how obstacles in life can be overcome – with the right attitude.

I guess we each have something to figure out in life, but if we can be more like water in our approach towards life, it's highly possible you will succeed in finding yourself. Being like water means; thinking out of the box, trying new things out of your comfort zone, seeing things from an open perspective and not to be too set in stone with your own opinions.




Be like water. It would get you far.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Say anything but please say what you mean.

Twitter Updates

About me

blogheader2015

All images and text here are the intellectual property of Michelle Lim, owner of the blog site www.coquettishmish.com, and related third-party ownerships. Any use, reproduction or re-quoting of the materials here can only be done with expressed permission from the blog owner, and should be duly credited where necessary.