"wholesome cookies for CNY"

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Here goes my second attempt at baking cookies. In my first attempt, my baking resulted at flat, ugly but delicious cookies. This time around I'm attempting a DoubleTree-ish cookie from a recipe I found online. However, I made some changes to the recipe and I made them mini instead of the huge, palm-full DoubleTree originals.





Great for gift-giving and festive season, like how I made them to be passed out during CNY.
And it taste great too, this being my second attempt. The kids loved it, the adults liked it too. :)
Imma proud cookie mama!

And being the generous person I am, I'm sharing the recipe with everyone so that you have something to share with your loved ones. Valentines maybe?
Speaking of Valentines, I'll be trying out a flaming strawberry recipe. And yes, it's an actual flaming stawberry with real fire. ;) Will share the recipe after Vday. 


Mini DoubleTree cookie recipe

INGREDIENTS

2 cup rolled oats
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 bar butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
3 eggs
2 cups semi-sweet, chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts (you can add another cup if you like walnuts)


INSTRUCTIONS

Combine the ground oats with the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl.

In another bowl, cream together the butter, sugars, vanilla, and lemon juice with an electric mixer, or you can mix by hand like I did (just because electric mixers are such a pain to wash after).

Add the eggs and mix until smooth. Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture and blend well.

Add the chocolate chips and nuts to the dough and mix by hand until ingredients are well blended.

For the best results, chill the dough OVERNIGHT (or at least 6 hours) in the refrigerator before baking the cookies.

Before you bake, determine what size you would want your cookie to be. For me, I want more cookies so I made them all really tiny and bite-sized.

I used an ice-cream scooper to spoon rounded 1/2 portions onto an ungreased cookie sheet.  Don't be afraid to use your finger to roll and mould the round cookie shapes.



Place the scoops about 2 inches apart. I reused some of my cookies sheets so that I wont be wasting any paper.




Bake in a 148°C (300°F) oven for 13 - 15 minutes. Then bake for another 5 minutes at 162°C (325°F). This will make the cookies slightly crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside.


I baked them all in my new mini-oven. :)
On a sidenote, cookie dough spreads when they're baking, hence why you need to leave them refrigerated overnight so that they wont completely melt and spread like a pancake. (this happened to my first batch of cookies)

Leave them out to cool before storing in a sealed container to keep them soft.



My first few cookies from my tester batch. I always do a bake test for every recipe so that I know whether it'll turn out like the recipe said it would. And this one here's a winner!


My tin was full even before I could finish the last one-third of the batter. :)
I easily made about 40-60 cookies with this recipe.


Feel free to try it out, have some fun while you're at it. ;)


On another sidenote, baking cookies wasn't the only thing I enjoyed during CNY.
I had the pleasure of dressing Bailey up in a cheongsam. Though technically it's a samfu since he's a boy. LOL. I've never seen my kitty look this adorable! :D





Mew!

xxx



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Say anything but please say what you mean.

Twitter Updates

About me

blogheader2015

All images and text here are the intellectual property of Michelle Lim, owner of the blog site www.coquettishmish.com, and related third-party ownerships. Any use, reproduction or re-quoting of the materials here can only be done with expressed permission from the blog owner, and should be duly credited where necessary.