My Absolut Journey

Friday, September 13, 2013


This August, I was lucky enough to be one of the four artists chosen to be part of their launch for the new Absolut Hibiskus flavor. This was a collaboration project called Absolut x 3editions.

Part of the project (the main part anyways) was to paint a 6ft tall Absolut bottle, incorporating the hibiscus and the pomegranate, revolving around the theme of empowerment. Why empowerment? Because the hibiscus is considered a symbol of empowerment by the Hindu goddess, Kali.

The journey started out with William Lee, founder of 3editions, announcing to the four of us that we will be painting on a 6ft tall, fiberglass bottle, amongst other things. But first, we had to create an imagery of the hibiscus in our art style for the press release – for media usage. This, was mine.




Both the hibiscus and pomegranate are to be incorporated into the press release, and I also designed the media invite. Both of these can be viewed here.


Soon after that was done, I went on to prepare for the two short days of painting the 6ft bottle. Like any other artist out there, it is always essential to prepare in advance – your vision for your masterpiece. So I decided to print small scamps of vodka bottles as a template for my sketches.






Then comes the big day - time to paint. And to also see those huge bottles for the first time. The entire process was held at the 3editions studio.





Pretty huge huh? If you could recall seeing on my Instagram, it was much taller than I was. So then came the grueling, back-breaking work of painting the bottle. I have to say, I was the last to finish mine, late into the night. But was it worth it? Yep, it was.



I started out with penciling my designs all over the bottle.



Then comes the painting. Let me tell you, it was not easy at all to paint on a vertical surface.



DAY 2 - After two whole days of painting, and being the last to complete, 
I finally finished off with my signature on the bottle.



All our bottles together. :)



Coincidentally, my bottle was placed right next to an artwork of mine 
that was chosen to be framed in the 3editions studio. :)


During the entire 2-day process, we also had the amazing crew from Hanger Magazine to shoot a video and do an interview on each of us. This was the end product. ;)






That isn't the end of my journey yet.


THE THREE LITTLE ONES
We are all told that we will also be required to paint an additional three bottles, but the smaller 750ml sized ones, to be given away as a limited edition set to some lucky people/winners. So here I am again, with another 3 blank, glass canvases.




An incomplete progress shot of my most favorite bottle.




This was the final stage, after a week's worth of painting where I am finally applying 
the spray-on clear, protective coating for each bottle.


A lot of love and labour went into all four bottles I worked on. However, I cannot imagine doing anything else that would make me as happy as working on art. :)



THE PARTYING BEGINS
Then after, comes the payoff. Absolut Vodka has 4 big events set up, to unveil a new bottle (the 6ft version) at each event, leading up to the finale. Mine was the second bottle to be revealed, on the 6th September 2013, at Luna Bar's rooftop pool area.



We had DJ Nasty & Guru-guru to supply us with beats.



We literally partied by the pool. ;)




I'm so glad all my closest friends are around to celebrate with me. 



With William, founder of 3editions. 




With Jonathan Putra, the lovely emcee of the night, 
who grilled with me with questions up on stage.



And the love of my life, who have been a constant supporter and assistant painter (even though he doesn't know how to paint), and the one who helped me through it all, tremendously. 




An all round shot of the final bottle. :)



It was an amazing journey, and I'm really grateful & lucky to be part of this. Opportunities like these are not often, and I am proud to say I've savored and enjoyed every moment of it. The biggest thanks goes to William, who have been a great person to work with and whom without, all these may not be possible.

Thank you! :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Say anything but please say what you mean.

Twitter Updates

About me

blogheader2015

All images and text here are the intellectual property of Michelle Lim, owner of the blog site www.coquettishmish.com, and related third-party ownerships. Any use, reproduction or re-quoting of the materials here can only be done with expressed permission from the blog owner, and should be duly credited where necessary.